Ever heard of digital marketing for businesses? It is the component of marketing that leverages digital technologies like smartphones, computers, tablets, and the internet to promote products and services.
It’s also popularly known as online marketing and internet marketing. No matter what it’s called, its goal remains the same: to make your brand more visible online and to reach a wide range of customers.
With people’s increasing reliance on the internet for information and purchasing products, it’s now imperative for businesses to grow and expand their reach in the digital space if they want to aim for long-term success.
So how does digital marketing work? How do you market your business in a saturated industry? And what are the most effective strategies that digital marketing newcomers should focus on?
Read on as we unpack the basics for you in this post.
How Digital Marketing Works
By and large, digital marketing is similar to traditional marketing in that the former also aims to nurture leads and build a relationship with your target customers. What sets digital marketing apart is that it brings solutions closer to consumers. As a marketer, you’re given the opportunity to tailor your message to your customers’ desires, pain points, and desired outcomes.
Whether a consumer is looking to purchase an appliance, hire a plumber to fix a leaky faucet, or find a point-of-sale system provider for their business venture, they likely researched all available options on Google. These searches often include pricing, features, benefits, and the list of stores or service providers in the area. After shortlisting prospective companies, consumers typically read reviews about each company and their products.
Once all the necessary information has been acquired, the next logical step is to contact their company of choice and place their order.
These days, the majority of successful purchases started as a simple Google search or a discovery of a product on social media. Regardless of the product or service that you provide and the demographic of your target market, it’s crucial to market your business online.
Top 5 Benefits of Effective Digital Marketing
What do you stand to gain from implementing digital marketing that’s customized around your needs and goals? Cultivating an online presence delivers the following benefits:
- It allows for simple ways to raise awareness of your brand among different demographics.
- It helps you engage with your target customers before and after the sale.
- When you market your business online it becomes easier for you to turn first-time buyers into loyal customers (provided that you offer them a valuable product and excellent customer service).
- It stretches your brand exposure and mileage because it promotes word-of-mouth referrals and social sharing, which leads to new businesses.
- Digital marketing can eliminate friction in the buyer’s journey and cuts off unnecessary touchpoints by giving your customers what they need at the right time.
The 5 Pillars of Digital Marketing
To achieve the benefits above, there are 5 aspects of a digital marketing strategy wherein you must put your time, attention, creativity, and budget. Using these digital channels will put you where your customers are and connect with them.
- Content – Whether it’s a blog article, image, video, or infographic, content is your tool in communicating and connecting with your audience. Use content to update them with the latest news about your company and industry, as well as to address their problems.
- Social media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and LinkedIn are the most popular social media platforms that allow you to engage and build relationships with existing and potential customers. You can also leverage social media as a tool to educate your followers and increase awareness of your brand.
- Advertising – Social media and search engine advertising helps you push more paid traffic to your website and bring your offers directly to people who are urgently looking for them.
- Email marketing – This remains to be a popular tool for maintaining your relationship with your existing clients and nurturing leads. You can also use email marketing to keep your client base in the loop of your latest offers and events.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) – You need SEO to increase your ranking on the search engine results pages and improve your website’s visibility on different pages on the internet. SEO also involves optimizing your content for the right keywords so your site pages will appear once people enter their query into the search bar.
When you fuse these 5 elements together, you’ll create a strong and well-founded, and inclusive digital marketing game plan. Each of these aspects will require individual plans and processes. It can be challenging at the onset.
But once you get the ball rolling, everything will come together to bring you the traffic and conversion you desire!
7 Ways to Start Boosting Your Online Presence NOW
- Develop your marketing framework
Successful digital marketing isn’t just about a set of campaigns. It has to be founded on a solid framework from a growth standpoint.
Find out how you can create a sustainable marketing strategy that yields high returns and revenue for your company. Determine the right metrics you should be tracking to monitor your campaign’s progress.
- Put your customers front and center
The purpose of your marketing strategy may be to hype up your company and services, but it shouldn’t be restricted to that alone.
Remember that your customers and suppliers are the driving force of your business. So make your strategy about them.
When doing your business market research, learn what your customers want and serve it to them. Instead of harping on it to make your company stand out from the competition, make your unique selling point (USP) an irresistible value for your customers.
- Connect through content marketing
Content can be a powerful weapon to build an audience, educate your followers, and showcase your expertise. What content format you publish depends on the type of business you run and the people you want to attract.
You can use a combination of articles, videos, newsletters, webinars, or infographics to highlight your services, teach people how to use your products, or answer questions from your followers.
Always aim to produce quality content. Show your audience that they can trust you and your expertise. Publish revenue-generating content.
- Create a social media strategy
Regular posting of company updates on social media pages helps put you in the mind of your followers. However, it shouldn’t end there. Don’t just create an account on every social platform for the sake of building a presence.
Know where your target customers hang out often. Identify the specific channels that can help you reach your prospects, then deliver the right content that appeals to them.
- Maintain connections through email marketing
Digital marketing trends come and go, but email marketing remains undaunted. And why wouldn’t it be? Almost everyone has an email, and people use email to send messages to anyone and to be informed. Use this to your business’ advantage.
Remember to build and maintain connections with your recipients. Avoid being too “salesy” or constantly selling them something. People usually sign up to email lists because they’re interested in the company and not because they’re always looking forward to buying.
Give them the information they might need to solve a problem or some tips they can use in their daily lives.
- Optimize your website for mobile use.
A number of business websites are not optimized for mobile-friendliness. This can affect your conversion rate. Most people nowadays are using their smartphones and tablets to browse the internet.
If your website takes more than 3 seconds to load, has chunky paragraphs, tiny texts, and poor layout design, you’re probably going to lose a potential sale for each second that passes.
Get the help of a web developer and ask them to make your website work well across various platforms, be it for desktop or mobile.
- Attract more website views through SEO
Make sure your site appears on the top rungs of the search engine results ladder to get the most exposure. For you to be ranked higher by search engines like Google, you must first provide useful and relevant content that makes people want to click.
To do that, you need to publish content built around topics that people in your niche are searching for. Your site also has to provide a great user experience, the kind that makes people linger on your pages because it’s easy to navigate and content-rich.
While you’re at it, optimize your pages for the search terms and phrases that you’d like to be popular for.
Need help with setting up an effective digital marketing strategy for your business? You’ve come to the right place. Local SEO Search consists of digital marketing-savvy experts whose goal is to help small businesses build a strong online presence and get more customers.
Contact us today if you need digital marketing solutions for Los Angeles small businesses. We want to sit down with you in a FREE one-on-one consultation to assess your needs and give you the right business marketing solutions.